Teacher's Aide with ParaPro Prep
Course Tuition: $1,695
Course Hours: 130
What you will learn
- What paraprofessional educators do and how they work in the education system
- Roles and responsibilities of a teacher's aide in various settings
- Benchmarks of development for children and adolescents
- Classroom management strategies, instructional control, and positive behavior supports
- Characteristics and intervention strategies for students with various disabilities
- ParaPro Assessment exam preparation strategies
How you will benefit
- Develop a career roadmap for becoming a teacher's aide
- Pass the Para Pro Praxis assessment and enhance your professional profile
- Develop strategies to support students of different learning abilities
- Teacher's Aide Foundations
- Child and Adolescent Development
- Communication and Classroom Management
- Supporting Students in the General Education Setting
- Students with Exceptionalities
- Midterm Exam
- Supporting the Reading Process
- Supporting the Writing Process
- Supporting Mathematics
- Preparing for the ETS ParaPro Assessment
- Career Roadmap: The Job Search and Future Opportunities (Optional Lesson)
- Portfolio Final Project: Instructions and Submission
- Final Exam
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- PC: Windows 8 or newer.
- Mac: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this program are included in enrollment. The following textbooks will be shipped to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment:
- Teaching in Today's Inclusive Classrooms: A Universal Design for Learning Approach, Third Edition, by Richard M. Gargiulo and Debbie Metcalf
- Methods and Strategies for Teaching Students with High Incidence Disabilities: A Case-Based Approach, Second edition, by Joseph Boyle and David Scanlon
- Praxis ParaProfessional Study Guide
Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive the ParaPro Interactive Practice Test to help prepare for the exam.
Kt (Katie) Paxton is a certified teacher with a Master's Degree in Education focusing on Learning and Technology. She has more than 20 years of classroom experience and has been an online instructor since 2003. She also owned and managed a home daycare for five years and is the author of More Adventures With Kids in San Diego. Furthermore, Kt has trained and placed tutors with at-risk students in over 100 schools in addition to working with the students herself.
Does this course prepare for a certification?
Yes, this course prepares for the ETS ParaPro Assessment.
What does a teacher's aide do?
Teacher's aides, also known as a teaching assistant, are paraprofessional educators that assist a teacher with various duties inside and outside the classroom. These duties may include supervision and care for students, along with providing students with lesson reinforcement and guidance in student studies. Teacher's aide typically monitors behavior, manage paperwork and perform recordkeeping duties.
Do I need a certificate to be a teacher's aide?
Requirements for working as a teacher's aide varies by state. Some states require additional training, some college credits or a paraprofessional certificate.
When can I start the course?
This course is open enrollment, so you can register and start the course as soon as you are ready. Access to your course can take 24-48 business hours.
How long does it take to complete this course?
This course is self-paced and open enrollment, so you can start when you want and finish at your own pace. When you register, you'll receive six (6) months to complete the course.
What if I don't have enough time to complete my course within the time frame provided?
The time allotted for course completion has been calculated based on the number of course hours. However, if you are unable to complete the course, contact your Student Advisor to help you work out a suitable completion date. Please note that an extension fee may be charged.
What kind of support will I receive?
You may be assigned with an instructor or team of industry experts for one-on-one course interaction. Your support will be available (via e-mail) to answer any questions you may have and to provide feedback on your performance. All of our instructors are successful working professionals in the fields in which they teach. You will be assigned to an Advisor for academic support.
What happens when I complete the course?
Upon successfully passing the final exam, you will be awarded a certificate of completion from the school or organization that you registered through. You will also be prepared to sit for the ETS ParaPro Assessment.
Am I guaranteed a job?
This course will provide you with the skills you need to obtain an entry-level position in most cases. Potential students should always do research on the job market in their area before registering.
Can I get financial assistance?
This course is non-credit, so it does not qualify for federal aid, FAFSA and Pell Grant. In some states, vocational rehab or workforce development boards will pay for qualified students to take our courses. Additionally, some students may qualify for financial assistance when they enroll, if they meet certain requirements. Financing is available from select schools. Learn more about financial assistance.
How can I get more information about this course?
If you have questions that are not answered on our website, go to our Contact Us page